Welcome to the Stroller Friendly City blog! Here, you will find reviews of restaurants in the Victoria downtown area, rated relative to their stroller access, as well as their food, service, and overall baby-friendliness. Thanks for reading!


Friday, October 8, 2010

Welcome to Stroller Friendly City!

I love restaurants. I've always loved restaurants. I love trying new restaurants, and occasionally discovering a hidden gem.

And then I had a baby.

Suddenly, my judgement criteria shifted. While I still love tasty food and good service, I now also incorporate some other factors in my gauge of restaurant quality.

Can I fit my stroller somewhere? Do they have a change table? Is the noise level lively enough for other tables to not be bothered by a loudly babbling baby?

Then I thought, maybe other mums are searching for the same thing! So, I'm launching #strollerfriendlyyyj, a multi-pronged social-media project that will distribute baby-oriented reviews of restaurants in downtown Victoria (=YYJ), where I live.

The synopsis and final mark will be disseminated via Facebook and Twitter (@Karla_HH), whereas the detailed review will be found on this blog.

Specifically, the rating will focus on these aspects:
  • Access -- ability to enter the establishment with a stroller, ease of maneuvering, sufficient space (somewhere!) to park one stroller.
  • Food -- how good is it? Bonus points for the availability of items that can be eaten one-handed, in the event of a fussy baby.
  • Service -- Fast service takes on a wholly new level of importance when you've got a (metaphorical) time bomb on your hands. How long do I actually have before the next crying jag? It could be minutes, or it could be hours. Either way, a speedy lunch is a very good thing. Friendly service is also important, as my poor, sleep-deprived soul always appreciates a kind smile.
  • Cost -- Now that we're living on a single income, splashy and overpriced lunches are (for now) a thing of the past. What kind of bang-for-the-buck does this place give?
  • Baby-Friendliness -- Are there change tables? A spot to breastfeed discreetly? Was the noise level compatible with the occasional loud baby babble? Were the staff and other patrons mostly kind, or were they noticeably annoyed with the presence of a baby?
  • Overall grade -- A for excellent, B for good, C for satisfactory, D for barely passable and F for godawful.

Anyhow, if you have any questions, or want to do a #strollerfriendly for your own city, I'd love to hear about it! In the meantime, stay tuned for the reviews for my first four restaurants. I'm hoping to get to two this week.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment