Welcome to the Stroller Friendly City blog! Here, you will find reviews of restaurants in the Victoria downtown area, rated relative to their stroller access, as well as their food, service, and overall baby-friendliness. Thanks for reading!


Monday, October 25, 2010

Hernandez

Next review is courtesy of my friends at Mothering Touch baby group, as they helped me find this hidden gem! Here is the review for Hernandez, found in a mall at 734 Yates st.

Access: Excellent! The mall doors have wheelchair push-buttons that allow for easy stroller access. The ramp to the restaurant itself is easy to find. The tables are well-spaced, leaving many places a stroller can fit without being underfoot. We even had four strollers at one table without any trouble!

Food: Delicious! My chicken tacos were messy and superb.

Service: Fast, no-frills.

Cost: Very cheap! My tacos and a bottle of fancy beer came to $12.

Baby-Friendliness: Great. Bright, plastic tablecloths ease my paranoia about my baby spilling/ruining something. Similarly, some dishes (like the tacos) are served not on plates, but on sheets of wax paper... impossible to break by accident! Note that I did not get around to using the washroom there, so I cannot report on whether there's a change table... will update when I know. Lots of space and opportunity to breastfeed, though a nursing cover is a good idea for the more bashful mothers, since the restaurant spans a mall thoroughfare.

Overall Grade: A!

Depending on the verdict with the washroom, this restaurant may yet break the A+ barrier! Stay tuned...

Nevertheless, I've found a new favourite, and I will be back!

1 comment:

  1. Hernandez is a favourite if mine!! The washroom - you have to get a key and code, and the heavy door closes fast, so you have to be quick. I don't remember if there is a change station or not. YUMMY food! My personal favourite: Black Bean Tacos (5/$5)

    ReplyDelete