Welcome to the Stroller Friendly City blog! Here, you will find reviews of restaurants in the Victoria downtown area, rated relative to their stroller access, as well as their food, service, and overall baby-friendliness. Thanks for reading!


Monday, November 1, 2010

Nautical Nellies

Today's review is for Nautical Nellies, found at 1001 Wharf st.

Access: There are a few small stairs and a raised doorway, making getting into the restaurant a bit tricky, but not impossible. Upon entering the restaurant, I was asked to leave my stroller at the entrance, even though there was sufficient room to manoeuvre and park without being in anyone's way. (Also, I was fairly certain that I'd seen a table with a stroller parked next to it in the other section of the restaurant.) Nonetheless, I didn't kick up a fuss, and the staff was quick to furnish me with a high chair.

**NOTE, this therefore makes Nautical Nellies a bad choice for cases in which a baby is too young to sit in a high chair, or where one might not want to remove the baby from the stroller and/or leave a stroller unattended. (E.g., sleeping babies, or strollers packed with post-errands goods).

Food: Though I'd been craving a burger, I could not resist the description of the Ultimate Lobster Sandwich, which I opted for instead. It was pretty straightforward -- two slices of grainy bread, some tender greens, a yummy aoli, and big, honkin' chunks of lobster. It was tasty, but not terribly exciting, and it was (imho) somewhat overpriced.

Service: Not great -- It was fast enough on the basics (food order, delivery), but I had to go to significant lengths to flag down my waitress to ask for an extra spoon. Note that the restaurant was almost totally empty at the time, so it wasn't like she was busy with other tables.

Cost: My meal cost $30, which I think is a lot, considering it was for a sandwich (albeit one with sizeable lobster chunks) and a beer.

Baby-Friendliness: Wins some, but loses overall. No change table in the bathrooms, which is VERY inconvenient. Though this dark restaurant with lots of hidden corners leaves several options for discreet breastfeeding. Noise level was good, if a bit quiet.

Overall Grade: D

Next up is a double post of stroller-friendly FAILS -- stay tuned for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment